Search Fore Hymn

Be Thou My Vision


Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Dallan Forgaill (translated from the Irish by Mary E. Byrne, Versified by Eleanor H.Hull)

These words arise out of mythological church history and yet resonates so strongly with the heart correcting love of the LORDship of Christ that it feels very contemporary to Christian singing it. Much has been said about the words of this hymn and it's relation to a prayer known as St Patricks Breastplate, whatever it's link (or not) to Patrick it is an ancient text, probably from the 8th century and was originally written in ancient Gaelic by an Irish believer.
These words, to various tunes and rhythms, have lifted Christian hearts and eyes in asking for perseverance in living for Jesus. I have sung this hymn in large churches and small groups, in the loud and fervent passion of thousands of students gathered together and in the quiet of funerals and memorial services.  It always seems apt because it always speaks of the confidence that comes through knowing Jesus.
There is not one line, not one phrase, that causes me to think 'can i mean this?'. Granted there is, in this age of good and rightful awareness of gender ex/in-clusivity in language, a slight hesitation around the use of 'true son'  and 'man's empty praise' - but understood in context it is not offensively exclusive.
I love this hymn and it was sung at our wedding. It will also be sung at my funeral (should the Lord not return before then) and speaks of The Great Hope which Jesus has given us through His death and Resurrection.

High King of Heaven,
my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys,

O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart,

whatever befall,
Still be my Vision,

O Ruler of all!

2 comments:

:) I happily sing of being a true son, because in The Son I am adopted as a son, with full inheritance rights in and with Him. Glorious!

It is indeed a good hymn. I wish it were sung more often.

Post a Comment