Search Fore Hymn

Litany of the Four Last Things: Heaven

Where Thy Saints in glory reign
Free from sorrow, free from pain,
Pure from every guilty stain
Bring us, Holy JESU.

Where the captives find release,
Where all foes from troubling cease,
Where the weary rest in peace,
Bring us, Holy JESU.

Where the pleasures never cloy,
Where in Angel's holy joy,
Thy redeem'd their powers employ,
Bring us, Holy JESU.

Where in wondrous light are shown,
All Thy dealings with Thine own,
Who shall know as they are known,
Bring us, Holy JESU.

Where, with loved ones gone before,
We may love Thee and adore,
In Thy Presence evermore,
Bring us, Holy JESU.

Early on in my work alongside students, indeed as a student myself, Nigel Lee spoke to me about a hunger for heaven and what is says about spiritual maturity.  I can't remember his exact words but I remember the tone and gravity with which he said it.  He'd asked how I was doing and we chatted about what I'd been learning - mostly about how my hope and hunger for eternity with Christ had deepend over the previous summer.  He commented that it is when the hunger for Heaven awakens and deepens in someone, in a congregation even, that it is a real sign of the work of the Holy Spirit and a breakthrough in Christian maturity. I was deeply encouraged and have found it to be true in my life and the lives of others.

There are many 'thermometers' I use to take my spiritual temperature. The clearest indicator is my hunger and thirst for Heaven.  It speaks of my relationship in the NOW as I long for the then. We love Jesus now, even though we do not see him, how much more will we love Him when we come face to face.  The last words of the Bible feed our hunger to be with Him, not something we can acheive ourselves - but we wait for him with an eye on the skies.
“I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”  The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.  I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.  He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.  Revelation 22:16-21

0 comments:

Post a Comment